Re: 1989 Scirocco Info Needed

At 06:31 PM 3/25/97 -0700, you wrote:

>>I thought about you when I wrote that. Then again I didnt want to be
>>labeled a
>>traitor by my fellow Scirocco owners!  :)
>
>Bah.  Same damned car, different outside;).  Thanks for thinking of me!

Wrong-Wrong-Wrong! Same chassis, same running gear, most all of the parts are
the same. The biggest difference, my friend, is that Scirocco's, have a
SOUL!!!!!!!  Ahhhhhhh!!!!!

>>For my money, Rabbits and Scirocco's got a fair shake on the autox course.
>>Other than the fact Rabbits are a bit lighter, still, it should be quite an
>>even race between the 2 cars.
>
>Agreed.  They are just about the same.  Visibility is arguably better from
>a Rabbit, the Scirocco has an inherently lower CG.  Both small differences.

Agreed, but, only one real way to see which one is indeed better, faster,
quicker..... (Ya, thats a challenge. And I get the home field advantage!!)
<-----------  :)-

>Right, that's what I thought, so there's nothing really that would make it
>a benefit.  One fewer cam bearing?  Lighter?  I suppose.

Ya, maybe some really tiny advantages. I dont know that it would really be worth
doing it tho. The only really good I can see from doing it would be to not have
to set the damn valves. (That makes cam testing more fun!!)
On the other hand, hearing them clackety tapets until the oil pressure reached
the cam is really annoying!

>Hmm, see, I wonder if the VW m-sport gasket is truly legal.  I'm thinking
>about it, but it does not seem like a factory OEMish replacement.  Hmmmmmm,
>I *could* order one tomorrow, hmmmmmm.  Something to think about.  I'd like
>to get 9.5:1.  That'd be good.  Gotta research that one a bit more.

>Yeah, Jeff told me about those.  Sounds neat, but AFAIK, illegal for SP.

Right, that info was for those who just want power and dont care about autoxing.
I shoulda said it then, huh!

> good ignition.....

Whatcha got??
Something I picked up on from the Potterman is a Maxican made distributor. The
story goes that the fuel there is so bad, they cant run 36 Deg on the
distributor. They have a 24 Deg distributor. What that does is allows me
 to set my timming at 14 degrees and I still dont have any ping. Cheap too, $40
or so. I really noticed the bottom end really picked up a bunch. Maybe the
addition of Nology wires and coil amp helped too but they were on
before the new distributor. Hey, its fast enough to beat that SM Scirocco! (I'm
Never gonna let him forget! heh-heh!)
Maybe something else you might wanna thunk over is a knock sensor. Especially if
your gonna try and bump up the compression. It will sorta do like this
distributor and allow you to dial in more timming. (Like 14-16 degree
s) I have no idea if its gonna be worth any hp at all, but I would think its
gotta be worth something over the stock setup. Theres an idea, run with
it....................

>soon to have a limit of the rules head and good
>compression.  I think 10:1 hp:weight is needed for SP - that's a 200hp
>engine.  Not sure that's happening with a stock inside 1.8!  My engine is
>currently putting out a decent amount of power (Kevin - Phillis was wrong
>in his calculations, it is considerably higher) - I'll disclose the numbers
>soon, once I know they are "stable."  Apparently, correction factors are
>being a pain in the ass.  The ignition showed a 3.2% increase in hp/torque,
>my power peak is at 4800rpm, the car has buttloads of torque, but
>comparitively low horsepower.  I'll tell more later.

Well, when the hell were ya gonna give up some numbers? Also the specs on your
engine/tranny as trested. You've been a total buttgoblin, holding out on us like
that! I see how you are......... :)-
WhatsamattawithU?

Shawn