Re: CIS Fuel Injection De-Bug!

>I am having a very strange FI problem and maybe you can help?
>
>FI Specs : CIS on an 81 Scirocco, dead stock - nothing fancey
>
>Symptoms : Cold start problem! (With "Pulsing" rpm surge, up-down-up-down..)
>
>Starts fine, very easy to fire it up!
>After 15 - 20 seconds (from dead-cold start), idle drops and rpm's surge up
>and down between 500 and 1000. If the accelerator is pressed, the car
>dies immediately. Once the car is warm (3-5 min.), it runs great.
>
>The cold-start injector (5th injector) and thermo-time switch are new
>(both tested bad) and the filter is also new. All engine settings (plug gap,
>timing, etc) are fine. The air - sensor plate is aligned properly
>and ther plate does not bind at all.
>
>The "pulsing" surge of the rpms (up-down-up-down....) is very strange.
>
>Anyone got some advise? Has anyone seen this "pulsing" before?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Harry

  Have you checked for air leaks? Leaking injector seals or slight air
leaks before the intake manifold can cause this. I've had a similar
problem, although it was long enough ago that I don't remember if it went
away when the car got completely warmed up. I do remember that injector
seals fixed it.

Brad