Re: To 16V or not to 16V, that is the question

At 12:14 PM 3/23/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I've been looking for another Scirocco since my '78 gave up a few years ago.
>In Northern CA 16V's are selling for about $800 over comparable 8's.
>I don't have any knowledge of the 16's and would like to ask the group if the

>premium price is justified. I'm also wondering how much more expensive the
>16's are to maintain and repair. What do you all think?

It really depends on what you want, (mainly) how you might use the car and
what kind of plans you might have for the future of the car.

Heres my opinion of the 16V -vs- 8V:

Pro's-
Lots more upper end power.
Higher rev's potential. (7200 redline)
less to modify to get more potential HP.
Never have to worry about the self machinning tranny syndrome.
if your a do-it-yourself mechanic, its a very cost effective purchase!

Cons-
low end sucks bu-ku weener.
Less performance part options.
performance parts are a bit more costly.
more moving parts. Possible mechanical nightmare if you dont take care of it
well.
more difficult to work on, from a mechanics standpoint.
The most common problems with the 16V are a bit tough to diagnose.
Maybe just a little more to maintain than the 8V but I think its not much
more.

>Any comments would be very much appreciated....there is a champaign-colored
>16V with black leather interior that has been calling me.  :)

Hey, if you like it, buy it! Really. Its got to be what you want in a car.
Nothing more, nothing less. Right! Its my intention to have a 16V Scirocco in
the future! (right after I do me a G60 swap in my 77 Datsun B-210! 220 hp RWD
Fun-O-matic! 4 door of course....)

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi           E-stock #130
82' Scirocco GTi           DSP #30