Re: Numbers...

In a message dated 97-03-21 16:49:55 EST, tudor@tvo.org writes:

<<
 You know you're *way* too into Volkswagens when you start reading the
Vehicle
 Identification Label in the trunk, and wonder what all those numbers mean...

 ...does anyone have a breakdown of the VIN #'s for these cars, as well as
 option lists, interiors, engines, etc.?  The thing which intruiges me the
 most are the 'option' numbers.  Perhaps my car has things I didn't even know
 about!

Since 1981 this is the breakdown....

Sample VIN number --- WVWCA0532W015236

1 to 3 = Manufacturers Id :  1VW=U.S.    WVW= Euro. Production
    4    = Line and body type : C = two door
    5    = engine :
    6    = passenger restraint system : 0 = active  9 = passive
7 to 8 = Model : the only important one here is 53, scirocco
    9    = check digit : ??????
   10   = Year : E = 85 , F = 86, G = 87, etc..
   11   = Manufacturing plant : E = Emden, H = Hannover, K = Osnabrueck,
                                    V = Westmoreland, W = WOLFSBURG
12 to 17 = Sequential Production Number

The other numbers in your trunk are usally the paint colors / int. colors
like LE3K = some sort of Maroon. A paint shop can tell you more.

 One other thing...I'm looking for an original brochure/sales book for my
'86.
  Is this a hopeless venture, or are there some out there, lurking in
basement
 magazine stacks?

I found mine at a car show in Virgina (Bug Out)

 Cheers,
 -- Mike Helms

Steve Toughill
MAINElyVW@aol.com