Re: Fuel pump relay mods

In a message dated 97-03-16 19:46:20 EST, milos@insync.net (Miles Lott)
writes:

<<
 I am currently working on a very simple design to mod the old
 style relay.  This would simply turn the pump on for a few seconds
 when you turn the key to the first position.  After this time, the
 original circuitry would take over.  The current design turns the pump
 on when it senses they key on and the igniton system activated
 (pulses signalling coil discharge).  My design should not add any
 hazard to the existing circuitry as might a simple bypass.  I suppose
 you could also sense the car being turned off for a certain period
 of time to guard against an intermittent key-on voltage to the
 relay in the event of an accident, otherwise the fuel pump would
 operate for the specified period each time the power came back on.
 Any ideas?  Does anyone care? :)

Hey I care. I've been thinking about it.
In VW's earlier models the fuel pump relay had 6 terminals then they TSBed it
to 5 terminals. The 6 terminal relay had a wire going to the terminal 50 of
the starter
the cranking wire) they did this to have the pump run before the coil pulse
took over. Then they changed it a eliminated it all together. Why?  Did it
cause a problem with over fueling? Or safety ? I have no idea!  I have the
original diagram for this at the shop with part numbers and all from the
dealer. Also if might add the Factory 5 terminal relay has a built in timer.
If you set it up on the bench, run a ground to terminal 31, a hot to terminal
30 and 15, hook a test light to 87 and ground then take a wire from ground
and hold it on to terminal 31b (coil pulse) the relay will activate and the
test light will come on for 5 sec or so and then the relay shuts off killing
the light.

So how could that be used to your advantage?

I'm going to test an idea I'll let you know my results.

My 2 cents

Steve Toughill
MAINElyVW1@aol.com
84 Scirocco GTX