Re: Air box to throttle body

In a message dated 97-03-21 00:01:57 EST, trnsfrma@ix.netcom.com (Shawn C.
Meze) writes:

<<
 At 11:43 PM 3/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
 >I found it just as easy and smoother running to use 2 45deg elbows
 with a
 >331/2 deg in between. It also fit better and was less stressful on the
 boots.

 >Steve Toughill

 Im confused. You removed the stock S tube and replaced it with another
 3" S tube?? I installed my 3" tube from the stock boot on the fuel
 distributor and used a bend to connect straight to the throttle body. I
 figure the less turns the better the airflow will be.....

 Shawn
 -- >>

Its not the shape thats the problem its the size. The factory pipe is smaller
in the center than it is at the ends. The size is where the air flow
inprovement comes from.
The reason for the bends is location, stress on the rubber air boots and
clearance of the master cyl. The first time I made one striaght with the ends
angled, and the second with 45deg bends and a straight center. In both cases
they permformed exactly the same, but even with solid urethane mounts (trans,
front snubber, and motor sports) the pipe would pop off onco in a while
because of the boot stress and vibration against the Neuspeed upper stress
bar. The 45-331/2-45 deg pipe solved that problem and again no differance in
performance. I also noticed that it ran even better when I readjusted the
full throttle switch for duty cycle enrichment to open earlier matched with
the vac. controlled control pressure regulator from a turbo audi 5000. And my
gas milage is okay since its 10 to 1 with a KS ignition. Also the big valve
throttle body, thin edge air flow meter,HOR cam. and porting help.
My only draw back was i had to re adjust the cam gear for my desired power
range.

Next are bigger valves and maybe a differant fuel dist.

The Tri-Y and TT exhaust are yurning for more...

" KICK  alittle ASSfault"

Steve Toughill
MAINElyVW1@aol.com
84 Scirocco GTX (87 GTI drive train)
88 Fox (Bone stock groceries getter/family car, kids, 4 doors ya Know!)