Re: Air box to throttle body

At 01:20 AM 3/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Its not the shape thats the problem its the size. The factory pipe is smaller
>in the center than it is at the ends. The size is where the air flow
>inprovement comes from.

Right, I fully agree, the jump to the 3" pipe is an improvement. So basically
you simply reinvented, so to speak, the stock S pipe. Novel idea!

>The reason for the bends is location, stress on the rubber air boots and
>clearance of the master cyl. The first time I made one striaght with the ends
>angled, and the second with 45deg bends and a straight center. In both cases
>they permformed exactly the same, but even with solid urethane mounts (trans,
>front snubber, and motor sports) the pipe would pop off onco in a while
>because of the boot stress and vibration against the Neuspeed upper stress
>bar.

I found it easier to use one bend in my setup. Less cutting, less material, less
clamps! The math of it all says that one bend flows air much better but in our
application, I think the gain is so small that probably even a dyno couldnt tell
show difference between the two.

I have had the problem once while on the autox course with my tube comming loose
from the boot. It was easily fixed but scared me when I got to the end of the
run and it wouldnt idle. Now the pipe has become part of my one day before race
inspection. Basically I nut&bolt the whole car, check electrical connectors,
fluids, bearings, swaybars and now, the pipe!  :)

Shawn