Re: 18g wire good enough?

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, ChuckKuecker wrote:

> I've always wired things like that to the dimmer, too, looks factory! But I
> have to wonder how many new lights one can hang on the dimmer before it smokes.
>
> Anybody?

Well, it really depends on what the dimmer is. If it is a simple
potentiometer (ie, variable resistor), then there is no problem because
it simply gets the 12V from the battery and feeds it to the lights. And
you can have many-many tiny bulbs, since decent car batteries can provide
adequate current to have enough power to all the 12V bulbs (remember the
P=VI thingie from high school physics). Problems might arise if the
dimmer is not a simple potentiometer but some other structure (hardly
doubt it) that cannot feed the full current available from the battery to
the bulbs. In that case if one wires up 5 more gauges besides the stock
oil temp gauge (a wet dream of many of us in the list :-)) the six light
bulbs in the gauges will be dimmer than normal. However, after I wired up
my 2 additional gauges I didn't see any drop in brightness, so I think
everything is ok.

Ilias (really struggling to find a decent mounting spot for that second
3-gauge panel...)