Re: 18g wire good enough?

At 13:50 3/19/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Of course, Brad's suggestion is the proper one, but for those who don't
>have solder-action close to their car, I can tell you that --for example,
>when connecting the new gauge lights to the existing one-- exposing part
>of the old wire, wrapping the end of the new wire 3-4 times around it
>tightly, and covering the exposed part with el. tape works just fine.
>

>Ilias

This works great - in my younger years (before I got picky) I used to do
this all the time. Two drawbacks, though-
1. The connection can pull apart if you get hooked on it working on something
else
2. If the connection is under the car or in the engine, and it gets doused with
winter salt, it WILL turn green and be a crappy connection.

Solder irons are under $15 at Radio Shack. Cheap insurance.

Sorry for the nitpicking.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco