Re: AWD's and Synchro's...

In a message dated 97-03-17 19:15:33 EST, mannix@privatei.com (I.Mannix)
writes:

<< OK, found out more, and I was incorrect in using the word "significant."
 Differences are (according to someone who is infrequently wrong - he does
 not know everything, but what he knows he KNOWS;) final drive ratios, VW
 having a ratio in the 4.20 range, Audi 3.9ish - 3.89, something like that.
 The VW rear differential casing is also "flatter," which my source
 speculates is due to the floorpan of the wagon.  Otherwise, they are
 basically the same - mounting points might be slightly different between
 the two, but they are in fact the same.  I like to make stuff up sometimes,
 I guess!  Sorry about that!

The back ends of a syncro or quattro are probably close enough to fit
assuming VW/Audi didnt do anything dumb.  The big difference I can think of
is that a syncro is used on a transverly mounted engine, a quattro is on a
engine mounted inline (longitudinal?) with the car like audis always are.  A
quattro wont fit in any VW except possibly a Fox.  I remember EC had a syncro
golf and they said they got the tranny/syncro from germany.  If vanagons? or
whatever had them in the states why did they go to germany?  just for gear
ratios maybe?  I have though about this too, but always dismissed the idea
because wouldnt you have to reroute the ebrake cables as well as the exhaust?

there are a few more points to ponder...

Kyle