Re: 16v block and 8v head

 16V pump is different, it does not have the provision for the
distibutor. So swapping of the pumps will be necesary.

-
swapping the pumps is 1 thing , but you must also change the intermetate
shaft to a 8v & if it's a 2.0 you must get it clearenced for the longer
stroke. The deal with the shafts is the gears have more teeth on the 16v.
Another way is to get a distrubutor drive gear from an Audi 80 motor
(engine code 3A) or a A3 tall block (code ABA).
Note: If your using a Hydr head get a 36mm oil pump from a G60 or the 3A
motor & don't forget to change the pick up tube if your using the 3A
pump.

 I thought I heard somewhere that some of the oil galleys on the 16V head
do
> not match up with the 8V block.  Anyone else heard this?

That is more of a head gasket issue. The 1.8 8V & 16V share the same head
gasket
The 2.0 16V is so slightly different in the water jacket area it doesnt
really matter.
--
POTTERMAN
kmpotter@ix.netcom.com