Re: Independant Rear suspension...?

At 10:36 PM 3/11/97 +0500, you wrote:
>At 10:03 PM 3/11/97 +0500, you wrote:
>>Anyone ever thought of this?  How many millions of dollars might this cost?
>>
>        From the way I see it, why bother?  If you did cut the angle bar and
>add central pivot points to isolate the two sides, you'd have to install a
>monster rear sway bar to get your oversteer back.  In a way, that's all that
>connection between the two rear wheels is doing.  Hell, anytime you install
>a swaybar, you've made your suspension interactive and no longer
>independant.  I guess the only perfect solution is to get your spring rates
>and damping just right so that you don't need a swaybar, of course that's
>usually a bit stiff.
>
>Dan

        My God NO!  Don't cut that rear suspension!!  It was designed to
work the way it does!
        If you want to improve rear suspension then add reinforcements to
the thing, perhaps a mechanism to prevent the suspension from having toe or
camber change in hard cornering.
        Cutting the beam YOW!
        If you want to change the suspension in that manner it would have to
be totally redesigned and not just chopped!  It could be done but it isn't
as simple as cutting.
        Sorry to be this way but I just get a weird feeling when I think
about it.