Re: '81 scirocco troubleshooting

At 05:57 PM 3/7/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Okay waterheads.  After owning my '81 Scirocco for almost 2 weeks, here are
>some observations.  Can anyone diagnose the possible problems?
>
>- While driving home, my friend (who was following me in his MR2) noticed
>the left rear wheel was slightly wobbling while I was driving.  After
>getting home, I made sure the lugs where tight.  I don't believe the wheel
>is bent...THEN I proceded to grab ahold of the top of the tire, and shake
>the wheel in and out.  It seems slightly loose, and there's a thumping
>originating from the hub.  The other rear wheel did it to.  What's this?
>Wheel bearings?

        If there is a real bad wobble then I doubt it is the wheel bearings.
If the wheel bearings are loose as you descibed take the wheel off and
tighten the nut in the center of the drum, not to tight though.  Sounds like
the wheel to me.

>- Car doesn't want to "cold start" when started cold.  It just idles like
>normal (albiet, a bit rough until it warms).  How do I fix this?

        I don't understand  what you mean by "cold start".  Like rev high
for a while and then slow down when cold.  It isn't suposed to do that.

>- Both front seats "rock" slightly.  The rears are okay, but is loose where
>the adjuster up front is.  Is this normal?  It's not a lot, but you can sit
>in it, rock it, and hear a tiny thump sound.

        The plastic bushings that the seat rides on are missing.  They just
slide in the rail.  Two in the back and one in the front of the seat.  You
may try moving the seat around to find a spot that it doesn't do this as
much for the time being.

>- Neither door will hold itself open.  What do I need to adjust/replace to
>fix this?  Makes getting out when carrying stuff inconvenient.

        There is a piece in the door near the bottom hinge that sort of does
what you are asking, you may wwant to look at it to see what you can do..

>- The front springs are Tokico's (too stiff for me), and the rears are
>Eibachs.  Rear shocks are red Tokico's, and the fronts are ?....anybody want
>to buy these for their Scirocco I?  $100 USD for all.
>
>Here's some other misc. info:
>
>- I will be ordering the Neuspeed suspension package (NS Lowering Springs,
>upper and lower stressbar, 22mm front SB, 25mm rear SB, Bilstein HD's or
>Boge TG's).  Any comments on the quality of these components?  Ease of
>installation?  How about the Bilstein or Boge shocks...any good?  How's the
>ride after I install all this crud?

        If you have the extra cash buy the Bilsteins, if you are on a tight
budget get the Boges they are pretty good.  I have them in my 80 'rocco.

>- I will be ordering the Techtonics 14awg aluminized steel exhaust.  What's
>the quality on this?

        They are great, never had a problem with one.  And they last..

>That's about it for now.  Thanks for reading through all this drivel, and
>thanks in advance for any answers.
>

> *  Donovan Porter - dporter@hevanet.com - Green '95 200SX SE-R FOR  *
>* SALE! Best offer over $13k - 1980 VW Rabbit Pickup  FOR SALE! $1200 *
> * -96 Toyota RAV4, 4wd, pwr everyting - 1981 VW Scirocco, some mods *

					DOM!
					1980 VW Scirocco S in DM
					1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
					1986 Kawasaki 600 Ninja