Re: Help with FI troubles

At 08:15 PM 3/6/97 -0500, you wrote:

>85GLI 8V, 94K miles, will not start. I have checked and or replaced
>altenator, starter, battery and cables, oil/filter, air filter, and nothing.
>Turns over, but will not crank.  I got the car a week ago from a guy who,
>when it would not crank one morning, just went and bought another car (an
>Acura, what a maroon) and has no clue. "Just wouldn't crank."

Hmm, maybe he knew something more than he was willing to admit to?
It happens.....

>It is getting spark to the plugs, and gas to them. It has compression. The
>timing belt is okay. The only odd thing I noticed when I got it was a large
>quantity of gas in the oil, but I attributed that to the moron trying to
>crank it for 3 weeks. BUT, when I got all the electricals sorted out, and
>tried to crank it, the smell of gas was in the air.

>From your description, its sounds like its too rich. Too much fuel. Crqnk it
and immediately remove a spark plug. If its physically wet, then this would be
the case. Possible causes:
There could be a clogged or bad fuel injector.
The cold start valve could be leaking raw fuel into the cylinders.
The fuel distributor could be bad.
The previous owner screwed with the fuel mixture settings. (Lets see, I just
turn this thingie all the way to the left..and... )

Something you might want to try, is remove one of the fuel injectors, place it
into a jar and while checking the spray pattern, see if the car will start.
This was how I discovered my fuel distributor was bad. (well, the fuel
mixture was extremely rich, due to the fact the previous owner decided to
"rebuild" the fuel distributor. He effectively ruined it.)

>So, help! Thermo-time switch?

No, because it would have nothing to do with the car starting. Only after it
has warmed up a but is when this item comes into play.

> Cold start valve?

Possible culprit as mentioned above.

>Control pressure regulator?

Um, no. If it were bad, again, it would start and then idle very high. Then
once it warmed, it would stall. Thats the symptom of this item going bad, in my
experience.

>I am so far over my head I fear.....

No, your not over your head. Things seem like they're out of control when your
stumped over a problem like this. As soon as you solve the problem, you'll
think to yourself, "Thats all that was"! The fuel system is very ba
sic. At the same time, if everything isnt working almost perfectly, it wont
run.

Shawn