Re: woofer

At 09:10 PM 3/6/97 +0200, Arno Pae wrote:
>Hi,
>
>maybe I'm off the topic, but I would like to hear what kinda experience you
>have with subwoofers: I am thinking of getting a 11" 300W thingie in my trunk.
>
>Or is it better to go for a pair of loudspeakers you usually use at home -
>you know - the big boxes.
>
>keep on jumpin'
>Arno

Keep on thumpin'!
never heard of an 11" woofer-
I know of excellent 12", 15" 18", and 30" sizes though.
I treat my ice schemes as sound stages; big, clear sound
with precise imaging and dispersion (in a shear-OAK-o??!).
also, I admire the monster systems you see in Max Power, etc.
but think just enough is good- besides the 'hood doesnt
necessarily have to hear it, and you dont want to sacrifice
too much weight. I know for some on the list, big systems are out
because of weight. [course my 8" exhaust tip weighs a scant 34lbs! ;p]
The 30" EV sub requires something like 9 sq. yds. of closure-
that could be more than the entire car! Sonic laxative! Bluuuuaaahhhh!
I prefer a 15" sub(good to 15Hz), 4-6 midranges (2 of them horns), and maybe
some Infinity Emit Tweeters or anything that'll take you beyond 40KHz. All
too often I hear dull, big sound without quality of tone,
resonance, etc. IMHO
Just one of many scenarios. Hopefully, some of our fellow electricians/
audiophiles can add in here.
And wattages, thats another story...
Paul
'84/'87 S2