Re: Ambient temp. sending unit

>At 10:41 PM 3/5/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>Obviously you can't put the sensor underneath the hood. Nor at a spot
>>like the trunk, since it will be a million degrees there over the summer.
>>That leaves us with the outside of the car. Since many cars nowadays
>>have such sensors, I am wondering how they are protected from wind-chill
>>coefficients.
>
>I am pretty sure that the temp sensor on the Corrado is under the hood.
>But it is past the weather seal near where the wiper motor is on a
>Scirocco.  As far as wind chill, I do not think it is a problem unless the
>sensor is wet (?).  I am remembering a junior weather kit that used a wet
>piece of wick on a thermometer to measure wind chill...
>
>Miles Lott (http://www.insync.net/~milos)
>(mailto:milos@insync.net)
>93 Corrado SLC, 82 Scirocco

I remember an aftermarket outside temp probe instruction suggesting that
the sensor could be placed inside the bumper.  This was from a ways back so
my memory's a bit hazy on this though.  I guess it would still get hot,
especially with dark colored bumpers but at least it'd be away from engine
heat.

I agree with Miles that unless the probe gets wet, wind chill is not a
problem, and having it in the airstream may be a good thing since it would
establish equilibrium much faster.  Just hand-waving, b-------

YbOeSnHtIoDnA