Re: Snap-On vs Craftsmen

On  5 Mar 97 at 17:16, Shawn C. Meze wrote:

> Your right, Thats why I prefer to use "CraftsmAn" tools.  :-P
> I was simply pointing out that Craftsman tools are of a much higher
> quality than all of the other tool making countries I listed. Thats
> all. Then I dissagreed that Snap-on tools are better. They both
> produce tools of good quality. I'd rate them equal, in my book.
> Where they differ is only in price. Snap-on tools are much more

Well, I might as well dive in on this again.  No way Craftsman are as
good as Scrap-on.  Just can't beat the feel of them and they usually
are shaped (ex:hand wrenches) better to get the job done.  But for
the price, Sears is a better deal.

Scrap-on is also a pain to deal with.  I had a bad ratchet and when
the dude came rolling up in his gold-mine on wheels, I trotted out to
get my new one.  He gave me a hard time cuz it had a few ding marks
on it.  I asked him how the hell you're supposed to fix anything
without getting tools nicked up.  I didn't tell him I rapped the damn
thing against a bench vise when it failed :)  Anyway, after I told
him that I was paying his rediculous prices cuz I expected great
service, he reluctantly repaired (not replaced) my ratchet.  Never
bought a tool off him unless it was some special tool only they made.
After a while he asked how come he couldn't afford to go to europe
anymore, I explained that if my Sears tool broke, they gave me a new
one, not a hard time and a repaired tool.  And they could care less
about nicks.  And maybe I was gonna go to europe with the money I
saved.

BUT, the Sears never felt as good and saved as many knuckles as the
Scrap-ons.  My $.02 or so .............

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
Oak Harbor, WA