Re: VW Special tools

> I sometimes receive this catalog called "Griot's Garage" (I think maybe
> it's been renamed recently) - they carry these tools by Facom and somebody
> else - apparently the stuff used by the Ferrari and Williams F1 teams...
> They are absolutely beautiful, at least judging by the pictures, but omigod
> expensive...

As far as I know, Griot's is overpriced for the sake of being overpriced -
some really cool stuff, but it seems to me that they are intentionally
targeting those who admittedly cannot figure out what to do with their
money.  None for me!

Just a quick note on the whole "Craftsman Sucks" bit - AFAIK, if you are
breaking sockets all the time, you're doing something wrong.  I've split a
few here and there, but each and every time, I KNEW I was using the socket
for something which might break it, I/E using a 3/8"drive socket in a high
torque application.  I can't seem to make their ratchets last more than a
year, so I normally trade mine in every 3 or so months.  Flathead
screwdrivers are not prybars.  I've twisted one tip off a Craftsman
screwdriver - had a big adjustable on the shaft, someone else pushing down
on the handle.  If I were professional, I'd use something other than
Craftsman (not SnapOn, two expeiences with them left a bad taste in my
mouth, not the tools, but the people - the tools are good, but there are
other good tool manufacturers out there), but for my recreational use of
tools, Craftsman has always been good for me - I'm no pro, but for scope,
I've been working on my own cars since I've owned cars, 12 years.
Dirtbikes before that, and I also had a medium sized lawnmowing "company"
when I was youger - used primarily Craftsman to repair the mowers.  The
tools I have broken should have broken, and if you ever want to feel
stupid, use a BIG SnapOn flathead that you don't own as a prybar - just a
little (separating a Weber from a 2002 intake, it was stuck on), and then
try to warranty it.  Good luck, if you get the Boston area rep, if he's
still around.  The screwdriver was roughly 14" long - ie BIG - and the
damn tip broke off.  Barely put any pressure on it.  Got a "crappy"
Craftsman screwdriver out of my toolbox, pried the damn carb off.  No
problems.  IMHO, and in my experience, Craftsman tools are BETTER than
Snap On when you start (abusing) using them for things they were not
intended to do - they seem to tolerate the abuse a bit better, whereas
Snap On tools are designed to do one thing only.  IMHO.  SnapOn is better,
sure, but Craftsman is pretty damned good for the home mechanic, at least
for me!

Mannix