RE: Blinking water LED (and H2O gauge)

>For whatever reason, the fan is not able to cool the coolant for you
>around town. I had a bad fan motor and after throwing in a used motor
>from a 79 rabbit, temps returned to normal. your problem may be one of
>needing a system flush, bad temp sender, low coolant level or even
>just a simple thermostat replacement.
>
>Hmmm, come to think of it, I have yet to hear the cooling fan go on
>after I stop my car.  The '86 does it, but the '88 doesn't.  Guess I
>need to check the fan motor (and probably replace that thermostat
>while I'm at it).  Thanks!
>
>Tim

Re. the fan motor:

The easiest thing to check is the fan motor fuse before you do anything
else.  You can test the fan motor by directly applying 12V to it.

And it's amazing how a small change in coolant level can translate into a
big difference at the gauge.

This is from my Mk.1 experience only tho.

b------