Re: Fuel pump relay

>At 11:57 AM 3/4/97 -0700, Vagabond wrote:
>>	Here's a little trick I used on all the H2O's I owned, forget the fuel
>>pump relay!  Get a short piece of wire with a fuse in the middle and two
>>flat connectors at each end, then take out the relay and connect one end
>>to where the fuel pump slot is and the other end where the ignition on
>>switch is.  You'll have to look for the slots where the fuel pump relay
>>was originally connected it's usually the bottom horizontal slot (for
>>fuel pump) and the right vertical one (for the ignition power on).
>>

>So this does not affect use of other accessories on the car, as in
>items that are normal turned on when the key is?
>I'll take a look at the schematic.  Being an electronics guy, I should
>be able to figure it out, right? :)  I never thought to look at it...
>
>Miles Lott (http://www.insync.net/~milos)
>(mailto:milos@insync.net)
>93 Corrado SLC, 82 Scirocco

I have a switch in place of my fuel pump relay - it is a big toggle with
the military style red cover.  It does help starting, and it makes for a
conceptually convenient kill switch in the event of an accident.  I wound
up putting it in when I changed my ignition setup, as the fuel pump relay
senses through the ignition whether the car is running - if the relay is
not getting pulses from the ignition, the pump will not run, IE, if you
crash, and the engine stops, the pump automatically turns off.  There is a
way to modify my ignition setup so it will work as stock, but I opted to
get rid of the relay altogether.  Works great, no side effects, aside from
the need to remember to turn it off when you shut the car off.  Best of
luck!

Mannix (Mark Bennett is using the same thing, he has had similar results)