Re: VW Special tools

In a message dated 97-03-02 21:57:11 EST, Iain.Mannix@Colorado.EDU (MANNIX
IAIN RORY CAMPBELL) writes:

<< 	The centering tool is also super important! Think about this; You
 spend a whole lot of money on shinny new parts, spend awhole lot of time
 putting(sp? not golf) them in, and then you bolt your transaxel on with
 the clutch plate miss-aligned. Now you're thinking "Well that doesn't
 matter, the dowels and bolts should align my bellhousing
 perfectly...Right?". But if they don't it'll be clamped down tight,
 holding your clutch plate off center. This can put undue stress in
 the input shaft and cause your clutch to wear out pre-maturely >>

Anyone confirm this??
I always thought that the centering tool was just to line up the clutch disk
centered so the tranny would line up.  If the disk isnt perfectly centered
than the bolts for the motor to the tranny wont line up.  It is frustrating
enough to put up a tranny (alone at least), without problems with the bolts.
 Now if it wasnt perfectly aligned but close than the first time you hit the
clutch it would have a tendency to center itself.

That was always my view, what cha all think?

Kyle