Re: Alarm recommendations for 16v?

At 12:48 PM 2/28/97 -0800, Riley wrote:

>They're not useless.  Useless would be sitting there with a fatalistic
>attitude saying if they want it they'll get it.  I agree that an alarm
>will not prevent b+e, or theft of rims, etc.  But if you get a decent
>alarm you *can* prevent the thieves from driving your car down to a chop
>shop and working it over real good.

By alarm I mean the sirens, hoop-de-hoop noise makers that go off everytime I
drive by one. Those are useless, completely.
Saying "if they want it they'll get it" is in no way fatalistic. Its realistic.
That is the reality of auto theft. There is no single thing you can do to your
car and have it not be stolen, period. You can wrap your car in steel, and they
will simply take the whole car, steel wrappings and all.
Fatalistic would be saying, "theres nothing I can do to prevent my car from
being vandalized or stolen...wahhhhh"! Yup, thats definately fatalistic.

>By decent alarm I mean starter kill,
>battery backup, and NO valet switch (or if you do have one, put it in the
>back somewhere).  Pull the fuel pump relay when you leave the car, or
>install a hidden bypass switch for it.

I agree, this is much better, but this description is not one of an alarm. Does
this system makes any noise? No. Ok, then its a "Theft Deterant System". These
are totally underated and not pushed to the public as much as it should be!
They (alarm makers) would rather push the noise makers instead. For some
bizzare reason, it gives poeple piece of mind.

>There are ways you can literally prevent thieves from taking your car, or
>even getting into it.  Have a creative stereo shop install deadbolts in
>your doors, activated by an alarm fob ONLY.  Now the punk can't open your
>doors.

This doesnt stop him from kicking out a window, or two, or three...

>You can get some thick tint film that acts like safety glass when
>applied to your windows - a direct blow with a 10 pound sledge will not
>punch a hole in this stuff.  Now the guy can't get in, period.  This isn't
>going to stop *everybody*, every time, but it gives you a lot more
>coverage against b+e's.

True, but the problem again is, now you've got a broken window AND your gonna
have to pay again to get a new window and have that window covered with the
film again. The way I see it, its gonna cost alot of money either way. Ah well,
jeez, this is kinda depressing.........  :)

Shawn