Re: Dual Ignition coil on Scirocco

At 12:21 AM 6/30/97 -0500, you wrote:
>***lurk mode off***
>I want to put an extra coil on my ITC Scirocco.  If I want to be able to
>switch over to the spare quickly, can I attach the negative poles, and the
>positive poles together, and only have to change the coil-distributor wire?
>Or must I change all wires to
>
>the new coil when needed?  I've seen dual coils on race cars before, but
>never really paid that much attention.
>BTW, it is a stock Bosch points ignition.
>tia
>***lurk mode on***

The way I understand that the big boys do it is, they have basically an A-B
switch. the coil wires both run to this switch as do the wires. Then if they
have a problem, they simply flick a switch to the second ingnition system. This
is on the entire ignition systen tho, so yours may be much easier to build.

My first thought would be to have 2 A-B switches. one for the coil wires and
one for the -/+ wires. (Or would this require 3 switches? I dunno, its been a
while since ive clammered through radio shacks electrical inventory...) Anyways
this could be dash mounted easily, I would think.
I've never done it, never seen it done or even seen a finished unit. I just
know it look really good in my head.
HTH!!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!!!