Re: crankshaft seal FUN!!!!!!

 Jay Docherty wrote:

> Does anyone have any pointers?  Anything I should lookout for?

I recently rebuilt a Jetta engine, and the crank pulley was unbelievably
tight.  I just strong armed it with a 6' pipe (that'll show it) and BROKE
the key off of the gear, rendering it useless.  Turns out that it's
locktited at the factory.  The local VW emporium owner says "heat it up
with a torch before you break it loose".  Don't know if yours will be as
tight, but if it doesn't show any signs of cooperation, a little heat may
be required...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL

87 16V Scirocco
86 Jetta GLi