RE: 85 Rocco overheating

At 09:39 AM 6/17/97 -0400, you wrote:

>You know, I've had this problem (not the 250 degrees problem) for
>quite some time.  While driving around town and on the highway, my
>temp guage roams around 100 to 110 degrees celsius, occasionally
>hitting about 112 degrees.  I replaced the old thermostat about two
>months ago with a 175 degree F thermo, hoping that my temp would come
>down.  I have had my cooling pressure tested and everything came out
>O.K.  I have also replaced various heater hoses and the heater valve.
> I was under the impression that this was normal for earlier VW's, if
>this is not the case, please, someone let me know.

Wait a minute. (A little bitty light bulb went on in my head. its
tiny.) Are you talking about the stock guage on the panel? Would this
be a oil temp guage?? (the stock VDO oil temp guage with 50-150 deg
Cels?) If so, your readings are perfectly normal. Oil temp around 212
is pretty much considered ideal fro driving.
Ive had temps of over 320F when autoxing in the desert! (Thats just
under 150 Cels.)Now with my oil cooler, I rarely see oil temps over
215F when racing. Driving around town is a constant 185F-200F
Whats the little water temp guage on the 7 oclock position of the tach
say when your driving on the freeway?
If your running 250F I just dont see how your keeping coolant in the
car? its not designed to run that hot. Typically, the stock guage will
peg out at 215F. 250 should make a mess out of something!

>One other question, what ration should I be using when replacing my
>antifreeze?
>John
>80 Scirocco S

50/50 is about what you want. If you live in a colder climate that sees
freezing conditions, then you would want to add a little more coolant.
This time of the year, go with a 50% / 50% mix.

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and