RE: 85 Rocco overheating

At 08:59 AM 6/16/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>What is the normal coolant temperature for the 8V (1985) engine ?
>As far as I could tell, my Rocco would run between 100 and 110 C
>(ok, 212F and 230F) in warm to hot weather. I'm also pretty sure
that
>the coolant temperature never saw the wrong side of 230F. Over the
>last week, I noticed that continuous cruising at 70mph (3400 rpm)
>or higher speeds gets the temp gauge beyond 230F. In fact, at one
>point, with the AC on,it was approaching 250F and I backed off
>on the throttle until the temps climbed down.

Thats WAY too high for a street machine. Something is definately
wrong.
At highway speeds, your car should run very cool. (about 180-200. Lots
of air flowing through the radiator) 250?! Yikes!!!

You know, I've had this problem (not the 250 degrees problem) for
quite some time.  While driving around town and on the highway, my
temp guage roams around 100 to 110 degrees celsius, occasionally
hitting about 112 degrees.  I replaced the old thermostat about two
months ago with a 175 degree F thermo, hoping that my temp would come
down.  I have had my cooling pressure tested and everything came out
O.K.  I have also replaced various heater hoses and the heater valve.
 I was under the impression that this was normal for earlier VW's, if
this is not the case, please, someone let me know.

One other question, what ration should I be using when replacing my
antifreeze?

John
80 Scirocco S