Re: Project 16v in EC

> Shawn C. Meze wrote:
> >
> > At 01:31 PM 6/18/97 -0400, you wrote:
> > >

> > >EC finally decided to do an update to their Scirocco 16v project car in
> > >the latest issue.  I just got it in the mail yesterday.  Anyway, they
> > >added the Nology wires, Nology coil amp, and Beru Silverstone sparkplugs.
> > >They say that drivablilty and responsiveness of the engine increased quite
> > >a noticable amount.  I wonder what a dyno would have to say?  Does
> > >anyone else have any real world experience with the full Nology setup?
> > >
> > >If anyone wants to know more details of the article, I could try and hit
> > >the highlights later...
> > >
> > >Thanks.
> > >
> > >==Brett
> >
> > Well, I agree with everything he siad in the article except for the BS
> > starting page 43 last column saying, " ...I was able to maintain pace with
> > traffic at lower revs than before". WTF?? Peter Wu doesnt have alot of
> > credibility in my book. If you were to call (or go) and talk to Jeff, the
> > words you read in the article are his (Jeff Moss). He described the Nology
> > wires exactly as it was written in that article. So what does adding wired do
> > with changing the gearing on the freeway mr. Wu?? Nada damn thing. Maybe you
> > will need less throttle to maintain speeds on the freeway? Thats completely
> > different.
> >
> > Basically, the performance gains that are claimed in the article are true for
> > the most part. Maybe not as glamorous as it  was described but fairly accurate
> > non-the-less.
> >
> > After chatting with Brett about this today, I thought it might be interesting
> > to see whats up with the wires. Iive got a contact who happens to have a Dyno
> > available to me for free. I think I will make an appointment to go and have
> > the wires tested. I will start with a stock setup. (My older set of Blue
> > Ignitors and NGK plugs.) Then I will add the coil amp, dyno it. remove it and
> > add just the NOLOGY plug wires and Silverstone plugs. Then add the coil amp
> > again so the whole NOLOGY system is installed and run that on the dyno. Should
> > be interesting!
> >

> Now that's a project we all would be interested in!  Let us know all the
> details!
>
> Jim
> --

I agree with the "advertizing" gimmic of the article, I have to say
that the wires are good & not a gimmic for MOST cars. I feel that
they (EC) picked the car where it would gain the most improvment or
"FEEL" . Neuspeed did a dyno test on a GTI VR6 with Nology's (witch
is distributorless & one of VW's best in terms of wasting spark
systems ) & saw no gain whatsoever. I use the Nology setup on my 87
GTI 16v (Yeh it's not a Scirocco 16v sorry!) & I would say that for
VW's the 1.8 16v is the best candidate for these wires, it improved
responce & revvvvaabilty on my car & would talk them up to anyone
with a 1.8 16v. Besides that if your gonna buy a set of wires from
Neuspeed,Autoteck,Rapid,Eurosport, or anyone for that matter why not
get something that at least makes you FEEL a difference. Expecilly
when everybody's wire's are $115 & up, When you can spend a little
bit more & get something out of it besides a different color &
thicker wire.  I was skeptical so I put some on my rocco 1.8 8v &
felt way less than I did on my 16v. Not to say that they don't work
just a better product & more cost efective for the 1.8 16v.
So for everyone out there with a 1.8 16v if your in the market for a
wire set Go For It!! My 16v after I put them on was pulling
consistent 7.8 0-60 with the G-TECH (was flat 8t's) pretty bone stock
except for a Gillett cat back & a K&N with no air box mods.
Just my .02
Potterman
Michael Potter
VIRTUAL WORLD PARTS