Re: Emergency!!! No Brakes

> Brake has felt "spongy" for quite a while, regardless of the amount of
> fluid in the system.  Tonight, they completely went, brake to the floor
> and nothing, except at the very bottom (about last 1/2 inch - and then
> very minimal, no full stopage).  I went to the store, got fluid, filled
> up the reservoir, nothing.
> My question is:  do I just need to bleed the lines (which have not been
> done for I don't know how long - I've had the car for 6 mths now), or
> will I need a new master cylinder.  If a new MC is the case, can I take
> one off of an 82 Scirocco?
> If yes, please send help with any know how on how to complete this task.

 I'm not clear on whether you just topped off the fluid just to be doing
it or because there was leakage... Anyway, the most common cause of such
a problem is a busted wheel cylinder. Stick your head under the rear of
the car & see if either of your back (inside) rims look wet or oily. If
the answer is yes, you've found your problem. As I recall, re-built
cylinders cost under twenty bucks.
 If this isn't the problem, check for leakage near the front calipers
(less common, but very possible). Remember  that brakes shouldn't have
to be bled periodically. If you get that spongy feel from air in the
lines, its because of a leak. This isn't to say that I wouldn't at least
try bleeding the lines before forking over money for a master cylinder.

 Ray - '81_S (1.8L, G-Grind Cam, Carb, Hydrolic Head)