Re: [HELP] waxing and waining power struggle

Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> No this isn't a thread on how to wax my car...I was drivign home
> today after getting brembo crossdrilled rotors and some metal
> master full metallic pads installed,and no that has nothing to do
> with my post either but I thought i'd share. Well my car randomly
> started to loose power and surge crusing aliong in 2nd or 3rd or 4th.
> Might my fuel pump(s) be bad? I got out of my car to listenin the
> engin bay, but it's hard to hear anything over the roar of my engine.
> i did notice a distinct, faint high pitch whine comming from below
> the fuel distibutor area. this this is my problem that may also be
> causing my feul cutoff at high >6200 rpms? I'm going to drop it
> off at the shop tomorrow if I can but I'd like to have some insight/
> be able to do some more tests of my own...any suggestions?

 I admit I'm from the old school (Mk1), but the fuel pump is under the
car right about where the fuel cap is, isn't it? Also, if I'm not
mistaken (again), I think some noise from the fuel distributor area is
normal. If your car has a 'fuel transfer' pump in the tank itself, that
is another possibility all together. As far as the primary pump is
concerned, just remember to not let anyone tell you its good just
because it comes on or pumps fuel. I had a Rabbit (with garbage in the
gas tank) that ate fuel pumps. Several of them pumped fuel (and
apparently rather quickly) but wouldn't consistently produce the
enormous pressure (Something like
80psi?) required to open the injectors. On some pumps the car ran fine
for 15 or more minutes & then lost all power. If I let it sit for an
hour, it'd crank & run fine again for another 15 minutes. Other pumps
felt like driving a ten horsepower car at any point.

 Ray - '81_S w/ 1.8L, G-Grind Cam, Carb, & Hydrolic Head, (Body in
progress)