Re: Overheating problems [1.8L 8v]

murari@cfar.umd.edu wrote:

> 2. Would it be alright to drive the car at these temps (keeping
>    it below 230F if possible) until Saturday ? Do I run the
>    risk of a radiator hose burst ?

 My God! 230 degrees? This is undoubtetly a stuck thermostat. I missed
that temp in the first post. You'd
have to have a kitten stuck in your radiator to clog it up that much....
Anyway, don't drive the car. I once drove my '81 five miles without a
water pump belt (Not by choice) with no damage, but you could just as
easily crack a head... Or cylinder wall. Also, don't know about VWs for
sure, but all other engines I've dealt
with have a small bypass to allow some coolant to pass even when the
thermostat is closed. This prevents you
from introducing cold water to the engine the moment the thermostat
opens. This could cause parts of the engine to crack because of thermal
expansion/contraction. In your case, it could be what is cooling your
car at all.

 Ray Dowling - '81_S w/ 1.8l, G-Grind Cam, Carb, & Hydrolic Head