Re: Six Speed stuff??

At 03:14 PM 6/13/97 EDT, you wrote:
>hey guys, isnt there an .80 gear too?  I believe it is autotechs, maybe
>not though.  Just wondering if it came in any car stock that I could get
>it from.  .71 sounds pretty high to me.

Actually, there are a few different size 5th gears to choose from. On close
ratio boxes, the .71 will be a very drastic drop from 4th to 5th. BUT, if
the overall lower RPM at freeway speeds are whats desired, this is how
to do it. Autrotech advises a .75 gear be used for 83' and later close ratio
boxes.

There are other gears available from VW. .71, .75, .76, .89, .91, 1.03.
Looking through Autotech's catelog they have an interesting chart showing
the RPM drop for the different gears. I wont duplicate the graph, (since I
cant!) but I will show the numbers below:

RPM's in 5th gear @ 55 MPH.

GEAR            RPM
1.03            3,200
0.91            2,900
0.89            2,800
0.76            2,400
0.75            2,300
0.71            2,200

This chart was based on the GTi tranny with 22.5" diameter tires and a 3.89
ring and pinion.

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi