Re: 87 8v

At 02:26 PM 6/9/97 -0500, you wrote:

>A friend of mine has an 85 8v that he is willing to sell for $800.  The
>transmission works, but the engine falls off about 3000 RPM.  If I buy
>it, I'll have the transmission, but no money to put it in.  Is this
>something that I can do on a weekend with wrenches and a hoist?  Or are
>the two even compatible? and how do I tell?  Any
>knowledge-opinions-IMHOs appreciated.
>
>Jerry
>87 8v

Doing a tranny swap is something that would require a few special tools (like
a good floor jack, CV joint bolt socket, muscles, mechanical ability.) You
can do this yourself, its just a matter of what kind of confidence level you
have in trying it yourself. Id say try it! before you start, if you have any
friends who are mechanical at all, it might be worth a shot to ask them to
help a bit? Couldnt hurt.
You could get the other Scirocco and remove the tranny as practice. Then try
it on your own Scirocco. If you find its too much work, you would at least
have a tranny to take with you to be installed if you take it to a shop.
The other option you could have is to part out the other scirocco to help pay
for the tranny swap. You could sell alot from the other Scirocco and probably
make more than what you paid for it.

If you decide to do the swap yourself, be sure to carefully look at the
condition of the CV's on both cars then use the best axles. It may be a good
idea to change the clutch anyways, you wouldnt want to have to remove the
tranny again in a couple years, would you??
HTH!

Say, are you related to Jay??

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi