Re: rocco trim

Big letter.  First paragraph tells all, the rest is just filler.

	Yeah, the trim is off!  It took me about 2 hours or so, but we're
having absolutely fantastic weather up here in Toronto, but it didn't
seem like that long at all.  This is what I did/used.

	The car had been in the sun for awhile, so it was nice and hot.  I
couldn't separate the trim from the car with my fingers without tearing
my fingernails off, so I used this odd-shaped paint remover.  It's
basically in the shape of a triangle with one side concave to scrape
rounded areas.  I carefully used the pointed end to grab the trim from
the back and separated it from the body.  From there I slowly pulled the
trim away, trying to keep as much of the adhesive as possible on the
back of the trim.  I found that certain sections were easier, even with
equal amounts of heat and light on them.  After all the trim was gone, I
had the chore of pulling off the left-over double-sided tape.  The tool
I used is located on the end of my thumb on the right hand.  Works
great, but it's still tender underneath.

	After 10 years of no sun or earthly elements, I expected the paint to
glow.  However, it was so caked with dirt and old wax that I just
cleaned everything off right away.  This is where I throw out a question
to all of you.  I used a cleaner known as "Oil Eater".  Ever heard of
it?  Is it ok for my paint?  It cleaned the remaining adhesive off
really well.  Actually, it cleaned the hell out of my paint!  There is a
noticeable border between where I used this stuff, and where I didn't.
The paint is very white where this cleaner was applied.  Does this stuff
eat away at the paint, or the dirt?  Cuz if it eats only the dirt, I am
doing the whole car next time I have a chance.

	As you all may know, I have no oxy sensor and no cat as of yet.  What
this has translated to is a filthy rear bumper right around the exhaust
pipe.  This area met "Oil Eater", and is now cleaner than the rest of
the car.  Please tell me that this stuff is good for the paint!

	Anyways, washed/waxed/vacuumed/windexed/armor-alled/tire-foamed my car,
and it looks absolutely the dogs bollocks!  Lovin it :)

jason
87 16V