Re: rocco trim

Dan Wolfson wrote:

> How difficult is it to remove the trim?
>
> How is the paint underneath the trim once the strips are
> removed?
>
> Also, the black tape strips between the back windows and front windows
> is starting to show its age, is it a difficult task to remove it, and
> how does the car look with it removed?  Same goes for the tape
> near the read window.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan
> '87 Scirocco 16v (original red paint)

The trim is simple to remove but make sure the paint is still in good
shape otherwise you might pull a bit off like I did on my my '83.
You'll know if it isn't and I doubt it would be on any 16v.  Just wait
until a hot day and leave it in the sun for a bit and then pull it off
sloowly.  The glue/rubber can be scraped off with some sorta soft
plastic.  I used a plastic spoon to get the thick stuff off and I
unfortunately didn't know about 3M Adhesive remover so I used my
fingernails for the rest of the stuff!  That was pain.  The 3M stuff is
about $11 and comes in a big red can and works AWESOME!  As for the
vinyl between the windows, I am doing it now and am on my fourth day!  I
just take a hair dryer and heat it up and peel with my hands SLOWLY!
The best way to do it I found out is to go at it in quarters.  I did the
top first and let my hands rest then do the other 3 sections.  You can
separate them by cutting the vinyl with some sort of hard plastic (I
used my finger nail again)  Also, start by cutting the vinyl that hangs
over the edge in the door jam because it makes getting the rest off a
lot easier.  Just remember HEAT HEAT HEAT!  Actaully I would be a PAIN
to put new stuff down but you may want to on a Red car.  Ya never know
until you try!  Good luck and just ask if you need any help.
Josh Clark