Re: Clunking on my 84 8v

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Shawn C. Meze wrote:

> At 05:27 PM 6/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I know this may sound stupid, but where exactly are those bearings?  I
> >have no experience with any suspension components.  Thanks.   :)
> >
> >Dale
> >84 8v
>

> No dale, its not stupid at all. Its simple, if you dont know, then you dont
> Anyways, the strut bearing is located at the top of the strut tube/spring.
> You only have 2 of them and they're in the front strut assembly.
> If you have very little mechanical skills, then you may want to consider
> taking it to a shop and having them do it for you since this job does
> require a few special tools. While your at it, this may be a good time to
> replace or even upgrade your shocks.
> Also, just in case you take this route, your car WILL need a front end
> alignment after they complete the replacement job. This is why its a good
> idea to replace the front shocks (Well, strut inserts actually) since
> they're gonna have it apart anyways.
> HTH!!

OK, so I found the strut bearing and it seems to be pushing through!?!  I
looked at the opposite side and realized that the bearing or bushing has
popped through  (i think that's the way to describe it).  I also found
that one of my anti-rattle clips was missing (2 clunks for the price of
one).  Anyways, thanks for the advice...I'll probably take it in for
service 'cause i'm pretty inept when it comes to specialized tool things.
Any ideas on the cost and what type of shocks to get?

Thanks,

Dale
84 8v
87 Rx-7 (scrambled egg electrical system)