Re: Clunking on my 84 8v

At 05:27 PM 6/9/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I know this may sound stupid, but where exactly are those bearings?  I
>have no experience with any suspension components.  Thanks.   :)
>
>Dale
>84 8v

No dale, its not stupid at all. Its simple, if you dont know, then you dont
know! I dont know everything about VW's. (Ya-ya, I can already here it,
"but yet I am stupid..." I sopose I walked into that one, so I said it
first!)

Anyways, the strut bearing is located at the top of the strut tube/spring.
You only have 2 of them and they're in the front strut assembly.
If you have very little mechanical skills, then you may want to consider
taking it to a shop and having them do it for you since this job does
require a few special tools. While your at it, this may be a good time to
replace or even upgrade your shocks.
Also, just in case you take this route, your car WILL need a front end
alignment after they complete the replacement job. This is why its a good
idea to replace the front shocks (Well, strut inserts actually) since
they're gonna have it apart anyways.
HTH!!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi