Re: Clunking on my 84 8v

At 12:32 PM 6/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings from Michigan (anyone else in the michigan area?)
>
>anyways, i have this clunking sound from the suspension whenever i hit a
>bump (sounds likes it's the right front).  It does clunk/chatter when i
>apply the brakes.  It's a really annoying sound and it's driving me crazy
>(especially with the windows down and sunroof open).  Any ideas as to what
>it may be?
>Dale
>84 8v

I know, I know, I know!! (Maybe....)
That would be your upper strut bearings talking to you. Heres the deal,
when you replace the one thats making the bad noise, replace them both.
(Meaning both sides.)
The fact you noticed it more with the windows open pretty much tells me so.
(from my experience.) Also try and drive the car (again, with all the
windows open, radio off.) slowly and purposly run over some bumps. That sho
uld be able to narrow the sound with each bump you pass over.
Be sure to check to see if you have the anti rattle clips in the brake pads
first. Thats easy enough to check as they can also rattle in a very
annoying way.
HTH!!

Shawn