Question for those with vacuum gauges

I just installed my vacuum gauge and am experiencing some funny behavior.
First of all, when the car is idling, the needle fluctuates by +/-2 in,
and as a result makes an irritating sound. I don't suppose that is normal
now, is it? Somebody told me it could be a sign of a valve not closing
well.

Secondly, when I am accelerating the needle does respond, but again it
fluctuates while it rises/falls (again making the sound).

I 'd like to hear about the behavior of other listmembers' vacuum gauges
(mine is a VDO, and I set it up the usual way, tapping off the
usually-covered outlet just before the hose that goes to the booster).

Could it be a defective gauge? (I hope so :-)

Ilias