Re: Fuel Ventilation

At 11:25 AM 6/2/97 EST, you wrote:
>   I have talked to numerous mechanics etc, about this, they say it is
>   normal, but I doubt it.
>   ----Scenerio snipped----
>   At least 5 mechanics said this was normal.  Some venting yes, but when
>   fuel jumps back out of the tank I don't think so.  This condition has
>   existed since I've owned it (5yrs), and I figure I'd throw this out to
>   the list members.
>
>   Any comments, suggestions,
>   -Paul

I agree, excessive venting isnt normal. There is maybe blockage somewhere in
the vent line? Doubt it but since you said that at one time fuel did vent.
Tells me that air pressure forced the fuel out the filler tube.

My other possability is that somehwere in the fuel return lines? I doubt
that also.

Next im guessing that the fuel pump dumps more fuel to the tank than gets
burned? But how by pumping alot of fuel does this increase the amount of
pressure in the tank? My math sez nope.

Perhapps the fuel is being heated in the fuel regulator (Or somewhere else
maybe?) and returned to the tank. Maybe that fuel is so hot its being
vaporized? Or at least hot enough to vaporize enough fuel to greatly add to
the amount of vapor, causing excessive tank pressure. (I like that one.
Could be total BS tho, im just guessing.)

In the mechanics of it all, your 16V has a few items that you can check.
Have you checked the Breather Valve?? How about the gravity/vent valve?
Theyre both located at the top of the filler neck, behind the rubber boot.
Also how about the expansion tank? Is it full? (Shouldnt be, so maybe its
clogged?)

Look at those things, check them and get back to us.
HTH!

Shawn