Motor mounts...

RE: Motor Mount

> I've got considerable rattle in the cabin from the engine and as I
> suspected I've got a couple bad motor mounts (front, right). I got an
> estimate from the local VW dealer of $225 Plus $100 for the 2 mounts.
> I just had the half-shaft seals replaced, so I'm looking to spend a little
> less money. I've read in the FAQ about replacing the mounts yourself. The
> right mount should be done in a shop, but the front mount appears as
> simple as holding the motor up w/ a jack and replacing the mount. Has
> anyone here performed that? Is it really that straightforward? I would
> like to give it a shot.

     Well, first mistake was getting parts from the dealer.  Call Adirondack
Auto and get a price from him.  The passenger side motor mount is difficult
and helps to have a press to do it but you do not need to have a shop do it.
The front motor mount is as easy as you think.  Get yourself a Bentley manual
for your car, it covers a LOT of the things that you will need to do for
repairs and save yourself a bundle!

     Sean
     wildfire@albany.net
     SYSOP: BOB'S WORLD BBS