Starting Engine After Long Periods

1. I'm firing up my baby this weekend after about 8-9 months of not
running.  Any thoughts on how to be gentle?  I'm planning to add a
little bit of oil into the fill neck.

2. Alternator
i unbolted my alternator to ease the process of replacing my radiator.
problem: need to put it back on, and i can't remember where to hook up
the wires.  there are three wires: one large red one, one small blue and
one small brown.  There are four possible places (posts) for these wires
to hook onto.  The large red one only fits on the large post, and none
of the other two wires fit on that post, so one problem solved.  I
believe that the remaining two wires fit on the two posts below the
large post that the red wire hooked onto.  I believe that the order is
as follows (top to bottom):
Red
Blue
Brown

This leaves the uppermost post with no wire attached.  This post resides
at about 11 o'clock, if you are looking at the side of the alternator
from the driver side of the car.

can anyone verify this?  next time, i've got to mark the wires&posts
with colored tape...lesson learned.

Thanks All!
john
jgies@skandia.com