Motor Mount

Hello all,

This is my first post to the list as I am the proud new owner of an '84
Scirocco.

I've got considerable rattle in the cabin from the engine and as I
suspected I've got a couple bad motor mounts (front, right). I got an
estimate from the local VW dealer of $225 Plus $100 for the 2 mounts.

I just had the half-shaft seals replaced, so I'm looking to spend a little
less money. I've read in the FAQ about replacing the mounts yourself. The
right mount should be done in a shop, but the front mount appears as
simple as holding the motor up w/ a jack and replacing the mount. Has
anyone here performed that? Is it really that straightforward? I would
like to give it a shot.

Also, how can I tell if this is a "storm"? Or tell that it is NOT. It is a
wolfsburg edition, and also says "Karmann" on the side post. Is there a
way to ID it via the VIN? Its original color was the orange-red, which I
also plan on restoring from the current candyapple red.

Thanks for any help, and for reading this!

~C

  Christopher Mende        ICEMT @ Iowa State Uni
  Home: (515) 292-6658     Office: (515) 294-6738     "One, two, three!"
  bayern.me.iastate.edu    www.icemt.iastate.edu