Re: NOS

In a message dated 97-07-21 21:52:02 EDT, rdowling@bellsouth.net (rdowling)
writes:

<< SailingFC@aol.com wrote:

 > Hello All,
 >
 > Well I did it.  6 to 9 months ago I had asked if anyone had experience
with
 > nitrous oxide.  Not getting a whole lot of response, I went off on my own
 > investigation.  About a month ago I finally purchased a kit from Nitrous
 > Oxide Systems.  It's in and it works beautifully.  It was the out of the
box,
 > 50hp kit for watercooled VW's.  It's on my '78 Scirocco.  The engine is an
 > '84 GTI with head and distributor work done by Drake Engineering(this was
 > back in '86).  The engine has 50K on it and is still running strong.  Even
 > stronger now with the nitrous.  I didn't have to change
timing(recommended)
 > and it has no hint of pinging or knocking.  I'm still on my first bottle,
but
 > it's getting pretty low by now.  The car is really a weekend car.  So it
 > doesn't get out much.  I haven't done any 0 to 60 times or 1/4 mile times
 > yet.  I'm having to much fun as it is to care what the numbers are.
 >
 > Just wanted to share the experience.
 >
 > -dick-
 > '78 Scirocco
 > Original Owner

  How much was it? How about installation? A pain?

  Ray - 81_S

Kit cost was about $550, extra fittings(my own decision) - $20,  factory full
throttle switch(NOS switch is too cheap) - $60, misc. hardware - $10.  Total
~$640.00.

The installation wasn't too bad at all.(note: I've pulled my engine/trans.
before, changed clutch and pressure plate, replaced my exhaust system several
times, changed shocks/springs, installed sway bars/stress bars)  The
instructions were fairly good, there were a few discrepancies and they had an
addendum for the wiring.  I chose to wire it like their old method instead of
their new method.  The trickiest part was probably the fuel tap from the
downstream side of the fuel filter.  There is very little room between the
hollow fuel bolt and the battery.  And the fuel bolt has a small rubber check
valve in it.  If your not careful you can wipe it out with your drill bit and
then starting may take a bit more cranking because there is no fuel pressure
reserve.  Otherwise I didn't think it was too bad.  One thing I did do was I
call NOS and asked them to send the installation manual to me before I
purchased the system.  They only sent me a couple of pages, but at least I
had something to look and think about before the installation.  I also always
read the instruction several times before I start and actually assemble it in
my head first beforehand.  Yeah, I know, it sounds like overkill, but it
works for me.

-dick-
'78 Scirocco
Original Owner