Re: 1->2->3->2!

At 06:55 PM 7/21/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Alright, who's had this happen before?  When racing on saturday night,
>I had a scary thing happen to me.  I was racing this white a2 Golf down
>the strip and my shifter did a funny thing.  It went from first, to
>second, to third, back down to second.  This isn't so bad when stoplight
>dragracing, but when I am just about redlined in third and I drop it
>into second, I get a really evil feeling.  I was not happy to see my
>tach blow past 8 Gs.  It was only momentarily, but I did it a total of
>three times for the night when I decided not to gamble anymore.
>
>	I raced all Friday night (and beat 2 CRXs and one Civic), but nary a
>misshift did I experience.  Comments?  Some knob told me my synchros are
>shot, but I think he just learned the word and was trying to throw it
>into a sentence.  Thanks a plenty.
>jason
>87 16V

Sounds like your synchro's are shot.

Uh, well, not really but it does sound cool when you say it yourself. :)
In all reality, your synchros could be bad but that shouldnt have anything to
do with your redline downshifts. id say, without sounding like im attacking
your driving that you probably did it yourself. <G> Im saying in the heat of
battle, your quick throw into what seemed to be 4th was actually 2nd. ouch!
Ive done that but I caught it before it reved past 3,000 rpms. You couldnt
"FEEL" the car slow down when 2dn engaged?? I could and thats why I knew right
away I was in the wrong dang gear. Well, anyways, the over rev shouldnt have
hurt anything, unless you kept your foot in it and stared for a while at the
tach to register something below 8,000 again. Usually, you will know right
away if you've damaged the motor from spiking the revs.
Anyways, check all your shift levers, all the plastic joints like to wear out
of round and all the bushings ect. If you have a short shift kit, whats it set
at?
Depending on where you have it set will sometimes force a mis-shift or two.
HTH!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi