Re: Replaceing struts

In a message dated 97-07-19 10:32:27 EDT, lerb@redrose.net (MIKE) writes:

<< 	I am going to be replaceing my struts next weekend and want to make sure
 get everything i need to do the job right....Are there any special tools i
 will need? (have a spring compressor)Also are there any parts that you guys
 would reccemaned replaceing at the same time? Like normal wear items in the
 strut housing? I also beleive my strut bearings are shot....Is there a good
 and bad kinda bearing or an upgrade i can get while i am doing this? Any
 help is greatl;y apprectiated! >>

As I recall, in addition to the spring compressor, you will need a tool to
remove/replace the top cap from the strut housing.  You can get by with a
large pipe wrench or a large pair of Channel Locks.  If your putting in the
"conventional" replacement inserts, you will need to either leave some of the
old oil inside or add some fresh oil back in(a good replacement will have
instructions on how much oil is needed.  This oil will prevent the inner wall
of the strut from corroding by most importantly, provide a meduim to transfer
heat from the insert to the outside world.  I say "conventional" because
Bilsteins(what I have) are of an inverted design.  The piston and working
cylinder are at the top of the assembled strut.  This puts the heat
generating parts in an area to transfer heat better(less steel) and reduces
the unsprung weight in the front.  The front Bilsteins also come with a new
cap, cap wrench, and a blue accordian boot to cover the slider.  Don't mean
to sound like a commercial.  Just my experience.

Good Luck.
-dick-
'78 Scirocco
Original Owner