Re: Replaceing struts

At 10:10 AM 7/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I am going to be replaceing my struts next weekend and want to make sure i
>get everything i need to do the job right....Are there any special tools i
>will need? (have a spring compressor)

Thats about it. If you have a compressor and an impact wrench, that makes
getting the top nut off of the strut. Otherwise it can be a time consuming
venture.

>Also are there any parts that you guys
>would reccemaned replaceing at the same time?

yes I do..

> Like normal wear items in the
>strut housing? I also beleive my strut bearings are shot....Is there a good
>and bad kinda bearing or an upgrade i can get while i am doing this? Any
>help is greatl;y apprectiated!
>Mike Weiler

if you can get a set of German made strut bearings, get them. Dont aske me
why they last longer, but they do. The Brazilian made bearings just dont have
the longevidy.

Also when you pull the old strut tubes out, you will find flud in the
housing. Dont empty it! Leave it in there. All I do know that does is keeps
the inside of the strut tube from corroding. Im sure there is another reason
or two as to why its in there but I dunno.
HTH!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi