RE: Center console '87 8V

Great description; I have only one thing to add:  the screw nearest the shift
lever passes through a long sleeve molded into the console that extends
through the carpeting.  If you don't know it's there, and are afraid to give
it a good tug, you may believe that there's a fastener that still needs
unfastening!

Happy tinkering!