Re: A/C

webmaster wrote:

> > So, the Dealer sez $520 to replace the control unit, and valve, plus whatever
> > the freon costs! Bite me....  I ask them how much it would cost to convert the
> > system to R-134. The guy goes off, asks a mechanic, and comes back with $25!!
> > No way. Fearing the worst i ask him to confirm that. 5 weeks later (this
> > morning), when the recall part finally comes in(!), I take the car in, and ask
> > about the conversion. Now they tell me $1200!!!! Holy Crack Smokers!!

 That price sounds way off. I can't say what a dealer should be
charging, but I did a 134a conversion with a friend (on a GM, but the
kits are the same) a few weeks back.
The kit we used was around twenty dollars and included a special oil
with conditioners to make it interact well with the installed seals &
mineral oil. Even if you "do it right", the kit with new seals only runs
about thirty or so. After that, cans of R134a are only five bucks
each... I'll be doing it to my Scirocco soon. Even if it does leak
through the hoses slowly (which is why there are so many rumors about
the entire system being replaced), I can afford a can of refrigerant
every couple of months.

 Ray  -  '81_S (1.8L, G-Grind, Carb, Hideous body)