Re: A/C

Rich Garrett wrote:

> >Brian
> >88 White Scirocco 16V
> Writes....
>
> >Assuming my system is OK and all i really need is a recharge and 3 new
> >pounds of freon(at $40 per pould...ouch!) then i would consider
> >converting the system to R134.  I found a guy who said he could change
> >it over for no more than $325(assuming the condenser and compressor are
> >OK).  All he would have to do is change the reciever/dryer and the
> >hoses.  What do you guys think?  Has anyone changed their systems over
> >from R12 to R134?
>
> Well here's my current experience with the same situation:
>
> A/C doesn't work. So I take the Scirocco in to the Dealer for a recall on the
> gas tank, and have them check the A/C problem, 'cos I have a 15% off coupon.
> They tell me that the high pressure valve is leaking, but (more important) the
> control unit is not engaging the compressor at all. The compressor works,
> because they were able to "jump start" it.
>
> So, the Dealer sez $520 to replace the control unit, and valve, plus whatever
> the freon costs! Bite me....  I ask them how much it would cost to convert the
> system to R-134. The guy goes off, asks a mechanic, and comes back with $25!!
> No way. Fearing the worst i ask him to confirm that. 5 weeks later (this
> morning), when the recall part finally comes in(!), I take the car in, and ask
> about the conversion. Now they tell me $1200!!!! Holy Crack Smokers!!
>
> They are providing me with a detailed estimate on the conversion, so I'll post
> it tomorrow if anyone's interested, or just email me if only a couple of
> people want it.
>
> rich

I think the dealer is pulling you leg..  The compressor won't run if the
freon charge isn't full,  and if your HP valve is leaking than you don't
have
a full charge.  I would bet that the only thing wrong is the valve, and
it only costs about $25.  Get a second opinion, because $500 is way too
much.

Good Luck
Etrik
http://activated.virtualscope.com/etrik