RE: A/C

>Brian
>88 White Scirocco 16V
Writes....

>Assuming my system is OK and all i really need is a recharge and 3 new
>pounds of freon(at $40 per pould...ouch!) then i would consider
>converting the system to R134.  I found a guy who said he could change
>it over for no more than $325(assuming the condenser and compressor are
>OK).  All he would have to do is change the reciever/dryer and the
>hoses.  What do you guys think?  Has anyone changed their systems over
>from R12 to R134?

Well here's my current experience with the same situation:

A/C doesn't work. So I take the Scirocco in to the Dealer for a recall on the
gas tank, and have them check the A/C problem, 'cos I have a 15% off coupon.
They tell me that the high pressure valve is leaking, but (more important) the
control unit is not engaging the compressor at all. The compressor works,
because they were able to "jump start" it.

So, the Dealer sez $520 to replace the control unit, and valve, plus whatever
the freon costs! Bite me....  I ask them how much it would cost to convert the
system to R-134. The guy goes off, asks a mechanic, and comes back with $25!!
No way. Fearing the worst i ask him to confirm that. 5 weeks later (this
morning), when the recall part finally comes in(!), I take the car in, and ask
about the conversion. Now they tell me $1200!!!! Holy Crack Smokers!!

They are providing me with a detailed estimate on the conversion, so I'll post
it tomorrow if anyone's interested, or just email me if only a couple of
people want it.

rich

'87 16v

"If Anybody gets Funked up, its gonna be You!"